The remains of as many as 1,000 free and enslaved Afrian Americans are buried in the Holy Rood Cemetery, now owned by Georgetown University. The cemetery was established in 1832, when members of Holy Trinity Church ran out of room in the graveyard near the Georgetown church, and additional land was purchased here in 1853. Both whites and African Americans are buried there. Most of the burials took place from the mid-19th century through the early 20th century. Holy Trinity Church, and therefore the cemetery, drew from all over Georgetown and other nearby areas. Many prominent African American families are listed among those interred.

The cemetery is no longer in operation. Its official records are available to researchers at Georgetown University's Lauinger Library.


This template controls the elements:

TOP: Top Links (Home, Donate, Events, Contact), Social Network Buttons, Tagline, Tagline Image

FOOTER: Footer Links (Privacy Policy, Contact, Donate), Footer Descriptions

* This message is only visible in administrative mode