The Deanwood School, constructed over time from 1909 through 1930, was the first public school for blacks in Deanwood. White architect Snowden Ashford designed the original buildings in the Renaissance style. In 1946 the school was renamed George Washington Carver School in honor of the famed agriculturalist, educator and inventor, harkening back to the neighborhood's rural beginning. The northernmost portion of the original complex was razed in 1969, and was replaced with the current modern structure. The Carver school closed in 1990. The building continues as an educational center as the IDEA Charter School.


This template controls the elements:

TOP: Top Links (Home, Donate, Events, Contact), Social Network Buttons, Tagline, Tagline Image

FOOTER: Footer Links (Privacy Policy, Contact, Donate), Footer Descriptions

* This message is only visible in administrative mode