Cultural Tourism DC and the Embassy of Sweden present the Embassy Chef Challenge 2010, showcasing one of Washington’s best-kept secrets – the world-class talents of embassy chefs. With 350 guests and a panel of celebrity judges in attendance, chefs from Washington’s embassies will compete in this second annual friendly cooking competition.
Leading up to the main event is Challenge Sweden, presented by Safeway, on Sunday, March 7, when seven embassy chefs will cook head-to-head, Top Chef-style. The cook-off takes place in the kitchens of Occasions Caterers in Northeast Washington. Chefs from Belgium, Ghana, Hungary, Korea, Morocco, Panama, and Qatar each receive salmon and a basket of surprise ingredients, drawn from Swedish cuisine. They have two hours to prepare a main course. The judging panel will reserve the name of the winner for the night of the Embassy Chef Challenge.
On March 18, all 11 chefs, including one ambassador, prepare hors d’oeuvre for Embassy Chef Challenge guests and the judging panel. Event patrons vote for the People’s Choice Award, while the judges nominate their favorite. Finally, chefs competing in both Challenge Sweden and the Embassy Chef Challenge are eligible to win the evening’s grand prize, Embassy Chef 2010.
The silent auction provides guests with exclusive tours of Cultural Tourism DC member organizations and neighborhoods, as well as experiences and unique items offered by embassy partners and other contributors.
Sunday, March 7, 2010, 8 am to 12 pm
Thursday, March 18, 2010, 6:30 to 10 pm
Occasions Caterers, 5458 3rd Street, NE, Washington DC
House of Sweden, 2900 K Street, NW, Washington, DC
Cultural Tourism DC is an independent nonprofit organization that invites Washington-area residents and visitors to experience and celebrate DC’s authentic culture and heritage. Its coalition of more than 230 cultural, heritage, and neighborhood organizations represent the many treasures that are unique to Washington, including its embassies.
The Embassy Chef Challenge provides a sneak peek of Cultural Tourism DC’s Passport DC 2010, a celebration of international culture next held in May. Unlike any other event in the nation’s capital, Passport DC opens doors to one of Washington’s most distinctive assets – its embassies and world-class cultural scene.
• Chef Aysha Murad, Embassy of the Kingdom of Bahrain
• Chef Jan Van Haute, Embassy of Belgium*
• Chef Viktor Merényi, Embassy of the Republic of Hungary*
• Chef Einat Admony, Embassy of Israel
• Chef Jae-ok Chang, Embassy of the Republic of Korea*
• Chef Nazha Kasraoui, Embassy of the Kingdom of Morocco*
• Chef Chetnath Bhandari, Royal Nepalese Embassy
• Chef Francis Otoo, Embassy of Ghana*
• Chef Ana Maria Mas, Embassy of the Republic of Panama*
• Chef Sunil Kiriwane, Embassy of the State of Qatar*
• His Excellency Vladimir Petrovic, Embassy of the Republic of Serbia
* Chefs competing in both Challenge Sweden and the Embassy Chef Challenge
• Joe Yonan, Food and Travel Editor, The Washington Post**
• Chef Carla Hall, Alchemy Caterers and “Top Chef” finalist
• Chef Martin Johansson, Embassy of Sweden**
• Chef Sina Molavi, Executive Chef, Occasions Caterers**
• Chef Nora Pouillon, Restaurant Nora
• Chef Michel Richard, Michel Richard Citronelle and Central Michel Richard
• Chef and Advocate Barton Seaver, Blue Ridge Restaurant and National Geographic
**Judges participating in both Challenge Sweden and the Embassy Chef Challenge
• Ambassador of Sweden Jonas Hafström and Mrs. Eva Hafström, Honorary Patrons
• Susan Clampitt and Adam Clampitt, Benefit Co-chairs
• Charles K. Barber, George Washington University, and Christopher H. Collins, Holland & Knight, Sponsorship Committee Co-chairs
• Leslie Anderson and Brian F. Kennedy, Auction Committee Co-chairs
• Kojo Nnamdi, WAMU-FM
• Tom Sherwood, WRC-TV
$225, available online  or by calling 202-661-7581
Packages available at $10,000, $5,000, $2,500 and $1,000, available online 
• Occasions Caterers
• The Washington Post
Mars, Incorporated; UPS; Bernstein Family Foundation; Fidelity Investments; Cathy and Paul Goldberg; Safeway, presenting sponsor for Challenge Sweden; Balance Interactive; Douglas Development; George Washington University; Mark G. Anderson Consultants; Monarc Construction, Inc.; Pepco; Pepper Hamilton; Philip Morris International; Rogers & Company PLLC; Verizon; William C. Smith + Co.; CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield; Alliance Insurance Services, Inc.; Aronson & Company; Artisan Partners/Prill Construction Group; BB&T; Bonstra Haresign Architects LLP; Boston Properties; James Connelly, Lincoln Property Company, Embassy Property Valuation Services; D.C. Lottery; Giant Food; Greenstein Delorme & Luchs, P.C.; Holland & Knight; Miller & Long, Co., Inc.; PGN Architects, PLLC; and Pillsbury.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Laura Brower, 202-626-1142, LBrower@CulturalTourismDC.org 
Elizabeth Goldberg, 202-638-8363, EGoldberg@CulturalTourismDC.org