Location and Hours

The Octagon Museum
1799 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC, 20006

Phone: 202-626-7439

See map: Google Maps

Open Hours for Self-Guided Tours:
Thursdays - Saturday, 1:00 - 4:00 pm
 
Guided tours may be arranged with 24 hours notice by emailing us at octagonmuseum@aia.org or calling 202-626-7439. (Guided tours are also available outside normal open hours—contact us for availability)
About The Octagon Museum

Completed in 1801 for John Tayloe III of Mount Airy, VA and his wife Ann Ogle Tayloe, and designed by William Thornton, the original architect of the U.S. Capitol, the Octagon is one of the most significant and elegant buildings to remain standing from the early federal city. The Octagon served as the temporary White House for the Madisons after the British burned Washington in 1814 during the War of 1812.

After the Tayloe family moved out in 1855, the house served as a girls' school, the offices of the US Hydrographic Office, an a tenement apartment building. Finally, in 1898, the American Institute of Architects selected the building to be their national headquarters, and they continued to use the building as such until 1970.

Today, the Octagon is operated as a museum by the Architects Foundation, and features guided and self-guided tours, changing exhibitions, and public programing.

Mailing Address:

1735 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20006

http://www.theoctagon.org

EXTERNAL CONTROL TEMPLATE

This template controls the elements:

TOP: Top Links (Home, Donate, Events, Contact), Social Network Buttons, Tagline, Tagline Image

FOOTER: Footer Links (Privacy Policy, Contact, Donate), Footer Descriptions

* This message is only visible in administrative mode