Missy Frederick is a reporter and columnist for the Washington Business Journal, covering restaurants, retail, hotels, the arts business, and tourism. Frederick is also a judge in this year’s Embassy Chef Challenge. Her column and blog, “Top Shelf,” chronicles restaurant and retail news in the DC region. Her theater reviews appear in Washingtonian and “DCist.” and was one of the 2008 National Endowment for the Arts fellows in theater journalism.
Cultural Tourism DC asked some notable Washingtonians to share with us their favorite places or events that are special and unique to DC.
Here are Missy’s five favorite places:
- Arena Stage – I’m a theater fan in general. I think Arena’s new facility is striking in its design, and I’ve gotten the chance to see some impressive shows there since it debuted. I also like that it brings me to the Southwest Waterfront.
- Quill Bar & Lounge – I feel at home when I’m visiting Quill Lounge in the Jefferson Hotel during one of their monthly show tune sing songs presented by theatreWashington. Drinking a Manhattan, standing next to a piano, belting out “Seasons of Love” from Rent? Sounds like a great night to me.
- Eastern Market – It’s such a quintessential DC place, whether you’re there to have pancakes at Market Lunch or buy homemade sausages by one of the meat purveyors. Eastern Market is my all time favorite place to find unique Christmas gifts for my family. Now that Barracks Row has developed such an impressive roster of neighborhood restaurants, it’s nice to combine brunch there with a trip to the market.
- Columbia Room/The Passenger – The Columbia Room has provided upscale fun for my husband and me, in the form of classes on subjects ranging from vermouth to whiskey. But it’s the Passenger where I spend more of my time. The booth in the front window was even the setting for my bachelorette party.
- Ace Beverage – Two bars and a liquor store on this list may raise some eyebrows, but such is the frame of reference for a restaurant reporter. Ace beverage to me is the best liquor store I’ve ever encountered. Their selection is amazing, their prices are reasonable, and the owner, Joe Riley, can get you just about anything you’re looking for.
To view a full list of DC Insiders click here.
Want a chance to meet Missy Frederick? Tickets are still available for Embassy Chef Challenge 2012!