Wuiping Yap is an entrepreneur, performer, and the executive director of the Asia Heritage Foundation (AHF), an organization that seeks to share, celebrate, and promote the diversity of Asian heritage and culture through the arts, traditions, education, cuisine, and way of life represented in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area. The foundation produces Fiesta Asia, a street festival featuring crafts exhibits, martial arts demonstration, talent show, and many, many more activities.
Cultural Tourism DC asked some prominent Washingtonians to share with us their favorite places or events that are special and unique to DC
Wuiping shares her top 5.
1. Jefferson Memorial -- “We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” This says it all about why it is on top of my list!
2. Smithsonian’s National Zoo -- Tranquility in the midst of a bustling city, the wondrous animals and nature we share a common space with gives me joy every time I visit. Giuseppe,the miniature Mediterranean donkey, is one of my favorites!
3. Adams Morgan, during the day – The partying quarter of DC is really a gem of diversity in cuisine during the day – Momos, Kukulkan, Beignets, Feijoada, Injera - all these yummy food found in one location, what more can one ask for?
4. Eastern Market - Simply the place to be on a beautiful weekend: the hustle & bustle of a marketplace, rejoicing in the other facets of Washington D.C. that are not just all serious business!
5. National Asian Heritage Festival -- Fiesta Asia Street Fair - My very own festival!! Boasting 20 some cultures, 600 performers, dance, music, martial arts, food, games, arts and crafts, a parade, and smiling faces, all working to promote heritage, foster communal bonds, and cultivate understanding – it can’t get better than this!
To view a full list of DC Insiders click here.
I would like to take the time to thank you for the support provided to our organization, Latin Fashion Week. The event was a huge success thank to the cooperation of company like Cultural Tourism DC and people like you.