An activist, artist, pioneer and flamboyant personality, Margery E. Goldberg founded Zenith Gallery in 1978, and later founded Zenith Community Arts Foundation (ZCAF) in 2000, a non-profit that fosters alliances between artists, businesses and other non-profits to benefit community. As a curator and gallery owner, Goldberg’s credits include 450+ exhibits and installations, and as an artist she has created over 300 pieces of sculpted furniture and neon. Goldberg served as a commissioner of the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities for six years, and in 2010, she was honored with the Mayors Award for Excellence in Service to the Arts.
Cultural Tourism DC asked some prominent Washingtonians to share with us their favorite places or events that are special and unique to DC.
Margery shares her top 5.
1. U.S. Botanic Garden: Spring is in the air all year long with exotic plants, gigantic trees, colorful flowers and wonderful displays. There, I take a deep breath and feel transformed.
2. Jewish Historical Society and Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum: This quaint building exudes the history of the Jewish people of Washington. It’s a wonderful place to be married that offers a spiritual and historical connection to the Jewish community of Washington.
3. New Lobby at Arena Stage: The fabulous structure with views of the river is a dramatic setting to begin or end your theater experience.
4. New Atrium & Interior Garden at the Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery: The atrium is a place to relax after a long day of exploring the awesome collections at these museums, as well as a place to meet friends in a serene environment.
5. Lincoln Theatre:The renovation of this historical theatre is simple, elegant and evocative of the artists who performed there in days gone by, but not forgotten.
To view a full list of DC Insiders click here.
I would like to take the time to thank you for the support provided to our organization, Latin Fashion Week. The event was a huge success thank to the cooperation of company like Cultural Tourism DC and people like you.