Kathleen Donahue owns Labyrinth Games & Puzzles, a family-friendly, community-focused store featuring a wide selection of non-electronic, specialty games, puzzles, and mazes for all ages. The store, which is located at 645 Pennsylvania Av SE (close to Eastern Market) offers a unique experience with lots of hands-on activities and games that can be played in the store. Labyrinth Games & Puzzles won Best New Retail in the Washington’s City Paper’s 2011 Reader’s Poll. Kathleen has lived on Capitol Hill for a little over eight years and loves raising her family in the neighborhood.
Cultural Tourism DC asked some notable Washingtonians to share with us their favorite places or events that are special and unique to DC.
Kathleen shares her top 5.
- Eastern Market – This historic market is most fun on the weekends when the surrounding streets become a huge flea market with all kinds of wonderful treasures and artworks.
- East Capitol Street for Halloween – It is wonderful to walk around Capitol Hill anytime, but most especially on Halloween. The neighborhood goes all out decorating the houses, especially along East Capitol Street. There are literally thousands of children dressed in amazing costumes. It is really something to see.
- Library of Congress – I think this is one of the most beautiful buildings in the United States, and they usually have really interesting exhibits.
- US Botanical Garden – Especially at Christmas when they have an amazing model train display and thousands of poinsettias. When my son was younger we would spend hours in the “jungle” pretending we were on a safari looking for wild animals.
- Capitol River Cruises – A 45-minute tour of the monuments as seen from the Potomac River. Boats leave from Washington Harbor in Georgetown. We love taking visitors to see the monuments from a different perspective, but sometimes on a nice day we just go for the boat ride. It is not very expensive if you take the short tour, and they are rarely crowded.
To view a full list of DC Insiders click here.