Cultural Tourism DC asked some prominent Washingtonians to share with us their favorite places or events that are special and unique to DC.
JoAnn M. Williams is the executive director of the African Continuum Theatre Co. An advocate of theater and the arts, she has been the recipient of a Larry Neal Writers Award and the 1994 Mayor’s Arts Award for Excellence in Service to the Arts. She is co-founder of Uniquely D.C., a nonprofit arts organization created to celebrate the District of Columbia and its residents.
JoAnn shares her top 5:
1. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s plaque on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial - To think of the history and the lives that have been touched by the March on Washington and Dr. King standing there is awe inspiring.
2. Lucky Strike - It is a great place to interact with a group of friends. It is so much fun and involves, conversation, healthy activity, and food, all in one place!
3. National Arboretum - It is a beautiful, tranquil place, that is tucked away.
4. The National Zoo - Not only do you see animals in the city, you get a great workout and forget about your troubles for a moment.
5. Thai Food in the city - I love the wonderful vairety of Thai food restaurants in the metropolitan area.
To view a full list of DC Insiders click here.
"The Heritage Trails which you create are such gifts to DC.
H Street NE will be enhanced immeasurably by the addition of its guiding signposts of the past and point us towards the future."